You have a lot of choices when it comes to developing your small business website, and it’s important to use the right tool for the job. Using one of the best website builders means you’ll create the perfect online presence with minimal effort. In this guide, we will cover the most popular website frameworks such as WordPress, Square space, Wix, and Shopify– so that you can make an informed choice.
When choosing one of the best small business website builders, it’s important to think about your business goals and the basics of building a small business website. It helps you focus on the features and functions of your website to:
- Meet the needs of customers and users
- Optimize for organic search placement
- Strengthen brand image, notoriety and trust
- Maximize revenues and profits
Whether you’re looking for the best ecommerce website builders to build an online store, share blogs and articles, beautiful designs, or deep customization, we’ve got you covered.
Wix is the web-building powerhouse behind over 100 million websites. Wix offers several ways to create and modify your website, with many templates and designs. The breadth, depth, and complexity of Wix’s tools can be slightly overwhelming for some users, and their plans are among the more expensive options.
Main features of Wix
- Very powerful and pixel perfect website editor
- More than 500 models available
- Many design customization options
- E-commerce and online sales available on certain packages
- Quickly Create a Basic Website with Wix Artificial Design Intelligence
- Many additional tools and third-party applications to understand and refine your online presence
Potential disadvantages of Wix
- Limited storage capacity and features on free and paid basic plans
- The depth of tools and customization can be overwhelming to build a basic website
- Third-party apps can be expensive
- Difficult to switch between models and designs
Wix pricing and plans
When to choose Wix as your website builder
Wix is a great choice if you’re building a website where you want full control over the look, design, feel, and user experience. There is a learning curve, and it can be more expensive than other options, but as we said in our Wix review, its drag-and-drop editor is flexible and easy to use, making it easy to create. of a professional website without knowing a lick. code. The huge list of excellent models seals the deal.
Shopify — advanced ecommerce builder for selling online
Shopify does one thing that is really great: e-commerce. If you operate an online store, especially if you sell physical products, then Shopify is hard to beat. Shopify provides a wide range of ecommerce tools, from building your online store and product descriptions to selling across multiple channels and integrating with many merchant and payment apps.
Main features of Shopify
- Laser focused on e-commerce and online sales
- Quickly and easily create a product catalog and list the items for sale
- Complete and integrated ecosystem of tools and third-party applications for selling online across multiple channels and platforms
- Store management dashboard for immediate understanding of your performance
- Highly functional and feature-rich mobile app for on-the-go store management
Potential disadvantages of Shopify
- Ecommerce plans can be expensive compared to other options
- Third-party payment apps may have high transaction processing fees
- Ecommerce only, if you don’t need it, there are other better builders
Shopify pricing and plans
- Shopify pricing plans between $ 29 and $ 299 per month
- Many third-party apps charge one-time or recurring additional fees
When to choose Shopify as your website builder
Shopify is a great option if you’re a traditional retail business that is expanding into e-commerce, or if you sell exclusively online. Its deep integrations allow your customers to buy, wherever they are. As we said in our Shopify review, as the world’s most popular ecommerce platform, Shopify naturally has a great selection of tools to help you build a powerful online store.
Squarespace: beautiful design and great mobile themes
Squarespace offers the perfect blend of beautiful design and easy website building. It offers dozens of crisp business templates and a focus on mobile-centric website navigation. Squarespace has a learning curve and lacks some of the features of more specialized website builders.
Main features of Squarespace
- Outstanding templates that are some of the best of any website builder
- Responsive designs that look great on tablets and smartphones
- A range of integrated tools for marketing, communications and e-commerce
- Powerful blogging features and tools
- Highly rated 24/7 customer service
- Relatively inexpensive compared to other website builders
Potential disadvantages of Squarespace
- There is a learning curve to using Squarespace and its editor.
- The Squarespace editor has some limitations on item placement
- Squarespace is not as powerful as the competition if you have very specific needs like ecommerce, membership sites or the like.
Squarespace pricing and plans
When to choose Squarespace as your website builder
Squarespace is one of the best website builders if you want a simple yet beautiful business website without all the bells and whistles. It is ideal for businesses that provide information to customers through blogs and static pages, especially if many of their customers are browsing on mobile devices.
As we said in our Squarespace review, Squarespace is a great website builder for those who are not interested in website coding. It takes a bit of practice to get used to the editing flow, but once you do, a gorgeous website is easy to build.
Hosted and Self-Hosted WordPress: Powerful Content Management and Extensive Tool Ecosystem
WordPress is the world’s most popular website content management system, and for good reason. It’s extremely configurable, with a huge range of third-party themes, tools, and plugins that allow a WordPress website to do almost anything. But, with all of that customization comes an overhead, often requiring extra effort to get the most out of WordPress.
Hosted and self-hosted WordPress options
If you want to build your website using WordPress, there are several options available to you:
- Hosted WordPress– you can use the hosted option of WordPress.com which provides you with out-of-the-box WordPress installation and website builder. This option requires a monthly fee that you pay for the website builder.
- Self-hosted WordPress– you can buy a website hosting plan from any of the best WordPress hosting providers, like Bluehost Where HostGator. You can then install WordPress through the hosting platform and configure it as needed. This option only requires an ongoing hosting provider fee.
The hosted version of WordPress is faster, simpler, and easier to set up, and there is less to do behind the scenes. This option is generally more expensive than the self-hosted version, and the base levels of the hosted plan do not allow access to WordPress plugins.
The self-hosted version of WordPress means you’ll only pay a monthly or annual hosting fee, and installing WordPress itself is effectively free. Self-hosting gives you more responsibility to make sure everything works together, that your plugins are compatible, and that you are administering your website properly.
Main features of WordPress
- Extremely in-depth configuration options
- Widest range of themes, plugins, tools and integrations of any website builder
- WordPress websites can be customized for almost any purpose
- Very cheap plans if you are using a self-hosted WordPress option
Potential disadvantages of WordPress
- The WordPress hosted option only allows access to plugins and integrations – arguably WordPress’ best feature – over its more expensive pricing options
- Self-hosted WordPress options require overhead to properly configure and maintain your WordPress installation
- WordPress has a steep and demanding learning curve if you want to make full use of the platform.
WordPress pricing and plans
- Pricing plans hosted on WordPress between $ 4- $ 45 per month, with plugin integrations only available on plans that cost $ 25 per month or more
- The best self-hosting WordPress hosting plans start from $ 2 to $ 4 per month and go up from there, this hosting comes with free installation and use of WordPress.
When to choose WordPress as your website builder
If you want deep customization, there’s a very good chance that WordPress can and do it well. The problem is, configurability comes at a price: paying for a more expensive WordPress hosted plan, or spending a lot of time, or paying for expert support with a self-hosted plan.
As we said in our WordPress review for the WordPress hosted plan option, WordPress.com is a decent choice for small websites, but its limited design flexibility and high prices are major concerns.
We hope you have found this list of the most popular website builders useful. Now you can make an informed decision on the best website tools and frameworks to build a beautiful and powerful small business website.