Jason owns, designs and manufactures the inventory for Sculps Hill Woodworking, and Rhiannon manages the business and marketing and also coordinates customer orders. Their custom wood products include bowls, cutting boards, vases, and more, and the couple provide superior customer service by hand-delivering custom products when possible.
With additional funding from the Business Plan Competition, the Schaeffers are looking to:
- improve their workshop space for better production;
- investigate the prices of discounts for wood storage;
- purchase a woodcut laser to personalize projects; and
- establish a website that offers space for personalized requests.
Ultimately, the couple hope to turn this part-time business into a full-time job, and additional funding would allow them to increase their inventory and move towards that goal.
And the winners are …
Once the presenters presented their plans and answered questions from the judges, it was time for the judges to deliberate. After a 20-minute deliberation period, the judges awarded $ 5,000 – the maximum award amount – to Art by Marky and Sculps Hill Woodworking.
This inspiring competition introduced two new ventures to the audience of Penn State Schuylkill LionLaunch. Two companies got funding, but in the end, Schuylkill County won two new companies to support the local economy.
Special thanks to the sponsors and partners of the business plan competition
This event would not be possible without the generous support of:
- Schuylkill County Commissioners Office
- PPL electricity utilities
Partners of the event:
- Center for Education, Business and the Arts
- Northeastern PA Manufacturers and Employers Association
- Pottsville Area Development Corporation
- Schuylkill Chamber of Commerce
- Schuylkill Economic Development Corporation
About Penn State Schuylkill LionLaunch
Established in May 2016, Penn State Schuylkill LionLaunch supports the local economy by providing programs, training and mentorship to aspiring entrepreneurs and small business owners. It is part of the Penn State Invent Program, Penn State’s Commonwealth-wide initiative to stimulate student economic development, job creation and career success.
To learn more about Penn State Schuylkill’s office of community engagement and the LionLaunch program, contact [email protected]